What isn’t covered under standard condo insurance?
- A standard condominium policy doesn’t cover you for earthquakes. You’ll need special coverage for this.
- Water damage from flooding, drainage backing up, or ground water seeping into your basement is not covered.
- Animals, birds or fish are not covered.
- Motorized vehicles of any kind are not covered. That’s what auto insurance is for-more specifically, that’s what comprehensive auto insurance is for.
- Aircraft and aircraft parts are also not covered.
- Power failure from an outside source is not covered.
- Business information is not covered. If you have a loss, you may be reimbursed for your computer, but you won’t be reimbursed for replacing the information you had stored on the computer.
- You also aren’t covered for neglect. If you could have prevented the damage, say by closing the window, the insurance company won’t pay for it.
- War is also not covered, including any damage or loss done by U.S. military personnel.
- You aren’t covered for nuclear hazard.
- You also aren’t covered for intentional loss, such as a fire you caused for the purpose of collecting insurance.
June 26, 2011